The Mayor wears the chain on all official visits. The chain is made up of small gold segments each engraved with the former Mayors names and dates of Mayoralty. The Arms of the Borough are at the front of the chain and have changed throughout the years.
The Mayoral Chain
To celebrate Thurrock Council's achievement of becoming a unitary status authority in April 1998, a ceremonial mace to be used on official occasions was commissioned.
Former and existing students at Thurrock Technical College were invited to submit designs. A design by Zoë Marie was chosen, with the mace being made by Toye, Kenning and Spencer in 1999.
Zoë Marie's design was influenced by the Thames and its importance in the development of Thurrock. The sails of ships are wrapped around the borough's crest representing the importance of maritime history in Thurrock. The wire around the shaft represents swirling water while at the foot of the mace, a dome reflects the importance of the Lakeside Shopping Centre.
The history of the Arms of the Borough of Thurrock can be traced back to 1936, when Orsett Rural District Council amalgamated with Grays and Purfleet Urban District Councils and Tilbury Town Council, to form Thurrock Urban District Council.
In early years the Council used the Chairman's badge as an unofficial 'arms' of the area. The current Arms incorporate a rich symbolism that reflects past events and people, along with current industries of Thurrock.
You can find out more about the history and symbolism of the Arms in our Thurrock Heritage Factfile - the Arms of the Borough of Thurrock.