Animal welfare advice for businesses

Animal health advice

Trading Standards advise on and enforce animal health legislation in relation to farmed animals (pigs, goats, sheep and cattle).

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 makes owners and keepers responsible for ensuring that the welfare needs of their animals are met.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) provides extensive information on farming questions, including questions on animal movements. Go to Defra food and farming.

Stray dogs

Lost or stray dogs should be reported.

Blue tongue

If you have any concerns regarding blue tongue, or need more information, go to the GOV.UK: blue tongue web page, which includes links to publications and flyers.

Foot and mouth disease

If you have any concerns regarding foot and mouth, or need more information go to the GOV.UK: foot and mouth disease web page.

Bird flu

If you have any concerns regarding bird flu (avian influenza), or need more information go to the GOV.UK: avian influenza web page.


Rabies is a notifiable disease. That means if you suspect it you must tell the nearest Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) office immediately. Failure to do so is an offence.

Horse passports

It is a requirement for all horse owners to possess passports for their horses. The latest details of the horse passport scheme, along with answers to general horse issues are available from Defra.