Brexit transition

Advice for businesses

The UK has now left the European Union (EU) single market and customs union. This means there may be actions your business needs to take.

Importing and exporting goods

From 2021 you need to follow new rules for importing and exporting. There are changes to processes and licensing.

You should get an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number if you don't have one already. Businesses and people wishing to trade must use the EORI number when exchanging information with customs administrations.

For information, go to:

To watch new government webinars and pre-recorded webinars about the rules on trading with the EU from 1 January 2021, go to GOV.UK: webinars for organisations that trade with the EU.

Our advice on exporting from Thurrock includes specific guidance on obtaining export health certificates for food and animal products.

Information and advice centres for hauliers and lorry drivers

The government has opened several temporary information and advice sites for hauliers and lorry drivers. One of these is at Thurrock Motorway Services on the M25.

From 1 January 2021 until March 2021, they will provide 'border readiness' checks and other support for hauliers who are unsure what they need to do before going to ports.

Employing staff from the EU

From 2021, if you want to hire anyone from outside the UK you must be a Home Office licensed sponsor. This includes recruiting people from the EU. Anyone coming to the UK to work will need a job offer from a licensed sponsor in advance and must meet criteria for skills and salary.

Go to GOV.UK: UK points-based immigration system.

Employees working between the UK and EU

If you travel to the EU for work purposes after 31 December 2020, you may need a visa or work permit. Go to GOV.UK: business travel – extra requirements.

Transferring data between the UK and EU

If you receive personal data from the EU for business use, you may need to take action on data protection. Go to GOV.UK: using personal data in your business or other organisation from 2021.

Providing services between the UK and EU

Check how professional qualifications obtained in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland will be recognised in the UK from 1 January 2021. Go to GOV.UK: get your qualification recognised in the UK.

Further information and advice

You can get further information and advice from:

To sign-up for emailed news updates, go to the government's Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: email updates service.

For more information, go to GOV.UK: Brexit transition.