Brexit transition

Advice for residents

There may be actions you need to take now the Brexit transition period has ended. These actions will depend on your circumstances.

For full information, go to GOV.UK: Brexit transition.

Travelling to the EU

If you will be travelling to the EU on holiday, you should:

  • check the validity of your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel – contact your vet at least 4 months before you go
  • check roaming policies with your mobile provider before travelling

For information and guidance, go to:

Any international travel may be subject to coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions. Go to GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) travel advice.

EU settlement scheme

If you are a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland living in the UK and wish to continue to live in the UK, you may need to apply to the EU settlement scheme.

The deadline for applying for EU settled status is 30 June 2021.

Go to GOV.UK: continue to live in the UK if you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen.

Continuing to live and work in the EU

Living and working in EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland depends on the rules in that country. You:

  • may need to register or apply for residency
  • should check that you’re covered for healthcare
  • may need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live

Go to GOV.UK: UK nationals living in the EU.