You must wear a face covering or mask at all times and try to follow social distancing rules when using any public transport. Timetables may be subject to change. Before travelling, check latest timetables and travel advice from bus operators Ensignbus, First Essex, NIBS, Stephensons and TfL, from rail operator c2c, and from ferry operator Jetstream Tours.
You can travel for free on local buses once you reach state pension age – go to GOV.UK: check your state pension age.
If you were born before 6 October 1954, go to GOV.UK: check your state pension age to find out if you're eligible for free local bus travel before you reach state pension age.
Apply for a pass based on age
You can apply online using the form below, or apply at your local library if you meet the age criteria.
If you apply at a library, you need to take 1 proof of age and 2 proofs of address – your photo will be taken free of charge.
Applying for a pass based on disability
You are eligible for a free bus pass if you:
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without speech
- have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability
- have applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, and have your driving application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than misuse of drugs or alcohol
Use the online form, below, to apply for a bus pass based on disability.
You cannot apply, or have your application photo taken, through your local library for a bus pass based on disability.
The form below is for use by all applicants.
Bus pass application forms to download and print are no longer available.
Disabled applicants who would not be able to make a journey regularly without help from a travelling companion may also be entitled to a companion pass. You can apply for a companion pass at the same time as your bus pass application, or any time afterwards.
Disabled person's companion bus pass