The government has provided a COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF) to support businesses affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic but not eligible for other support linked to business rates.
We will provide funding to successful applicants on a first-come, first-served basis, up to maximum of 100% net liability for 2021/22 – that is, the net amount payable on your 2021/22 business rates bill after any other reliefs or discounts.
This relief is discretionary and the fund is limited, which means relief will be provided only while funding is available, up to a latest date of 31 March 2023.
Who is eligible
You can apply for COVID-19 Additional Relief if your business:
- pays business rates in Thurrock
- is currently trading (open for business) and has been trading since 31 March 2021
- is not in insolvency or in the process of being struck off
- was not eligible for expanded retail discount or nursery discount in 2021/22
- can provide evidence of being impacted negatively by the pandemic
- has not exceeded subsidy thresholds
Read our guidance on COVID-19 business grant subsidy allowances before applying.
Information you must provide
When applying for COVID-19 Additional Relief, you will need to provide:
- the property's business rates reference – a 10-digit number starting '14'
- the 5-digit Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code for the main activity of your business – this will either be as stated on your Companies House listing or, if you don't have one, check the Companies House: condensed SIC code list and choose the code that best matches your business
You will also be asked to upload clear photos, scanned images, or electronic copies of evidence of your trading from:
- 2019/20 – before the pandemic
- 2021/22 – showing specifically how the pandemic has impacted your trading
Examples of evidence include bank statements, profit and loss accounts, or a statement from a qualified accountant. The evidence for both periods must be equivalent so we can compare them. Individual files must be no larger than 5MB.
Apply for COVID-19 Additional Relief
If you believe your business is eligible, you must use the form below to apply. If you wish to apply for relief on more than one property, you should complete a separate application for each.
All applications will be checked thoroughly – action will be taken against any fraudulent claims.