This scheme ended on 31 March 2021.
In April 2017, the government announced support for businesses whose non-domestic rates had increased as a result of the GOV.UK: business rates revaluation.
Thurrock was allocated £632,000 over 4 years towards a local Discretionary Relief Scheme, as set out in the table below.
||Amount allocated for discretionary relief
Our scheme provided discretionary relief in proportion to the level of increase suffered by eligible businesses.
Awards made under this scheme reduced year by year over the lifetime of the scheme.
Businesses were eligible for discretionary relief with their business rates under this scheme if:
- the premises are occupied and used for trading purposes
- the business suffered an increase in rateable value and business rates payable as a result of the 2017 revaluation
- the rateable value of the property on 1 April 2017 was no more than £200,000
- the net increase in rates payable as a result of revaluation is more than 7%
- the business is local, with premises solely in Thurrock – we will not award relief to businesses that are national or multi-national, or to public bodies or agencies
- you comply with State Aid rules, such that any award made under this scheme will not breach the State Aid limit of €200,000 over a 3 year period – go to GOV.UK: state aid
Businesses that are not eligible include:
- pay-day lenders
- betting and gambling premises
We reserve the right to judge the nature of any business and its eligibility for the scheme.
How much relief will be awarded
Relief awarded each year = (A ÷ T) x F
In the calculation above:
- A = amount of increase in bill for the eligible property, after allowing for other relief
- T = total increase in the bills of all eligible businesses, after allowing for other relief
- F = funding available in year for the scheme during that year
We will subtract the amount of relief from your total business rates bill each year.
This scheme was in place for 4 years. No further relief is available after 31 March 2021.
The application period for discretionary rate relief closed on 5 March 2018.
Changes of circumstances
You must tell us immediately if any change in the circumstances of your business would affect its eligibility for relief.
If you successfully appeal against the revaluation of your business rates, the amount of relief awarded under this scheme will be adjusted.