Caravan licensing

Caravan site licensing

It is illegal to use land as a caravan site unless you have a site licence. A caravan site licence is written permission from us to set up caravans on any land. These can be residential or touring sites.

Before applying for a licence, you will probably need planning permission. You will not get a licence until you have planning permission.

One of our officers will arrange to inspect the site. They will then discuss the conditions and requirements of the licence with you. Conditions cover a range of health and safety standards and can include:

  • the type of caravan allowed on site
  • number of caravans
  • when the site can be used
  • water supplies
  • sanitary provisions, such as toilets and washing facilities
  • caravan spacing
  • fire safety
  • roadways


You do not need a licence if:

  • the caravan is in the grounds of a home and is used as part of the home
  • a single caravan is sited for not more than 2 consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12-month period
  • there are up to 3 caravans on a site of not less than 5 acres for a total of 28 days in any 12-month period
  • the site is occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • the site has up to 5 caravans, is certified by an exempted organisation and is for members only
  • the site is occupied by the council, usually gypsy and traveller sites
  • the site is for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, builders
  • the site is for tents only and used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12-month period

Getting a licence

Contact the private housing service who will make a site visit and send the necessary forms. Your application form will need to be attached to a site plan showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Private Housing service
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


There is no time limit to the licence. It runs out when the planning permission runs out. The licence is free.