Changes to your circumstances affecting benefits

How to provide proof

You must provide original documents as proof of the change in your circumstances. Photocopies are not accepted.

If we pay you too little benefit because you did not tell us about a change straightaway, you may lose your underpaid benefit arrears.

You are responsible for telling us about any changes. Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on.

If you get more housing benefit or council tax support than you should because you did not tell us about a change in your circumstances straightaway, we can ask you to pay it back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about any changes that affects your benefit, you may be prosecuted.

You must tell us separately even if you have reported the change to another government or council department and they have told you they will do it for you.

If you are not sure, contact us:

Benefits section
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, Essex RM17 6SL