Citizenship, nationality and proof of life

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Thurrock Register Office

Thurrock Register Office is closed until further notice.

Registering a death – we are taking appointments by phone to register a death. Deaths must be registered within 5 days from the date of death.

You will need to contact the GP's surgery to confirm that the 'Medical Certificate of Cause of Death' will be scanned and sent by email to before your appointment. If the death has been referred to the coroner, you need to make sure their documents have been emailed to us before booking your appointment. To book your appointment, phone 01375 372 822.

On the date and time of your appointment, we will phone you to take information for completing the registration. We will also arrange to send you a death certificate, if you wish to order one. Paperwork for the funeral will be sent direct to your undertaker.

Birth registration, marriage or civil partnership notice or ceremony, citizenship ceremony and other requests – no other Register Office appointments can be made until further notice. During this period, you can claim child benefit or Universal Credit before your baby's birth has been registered. If you wish to cancel or postpone a ceremony, please email

Nationality checking

We no longer provide a nationality checking service.

From 1 January 2019, all nationality checking is done by the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS) rather than local councils.

About the UKVCAS service

You can use UKVCAS to apply for British Citizenship. Their nationality checking service makes sure applications for British nationality are completed correctly, with the right documents and fee.

Before you book an appointment, you should make sure you meet all the requirements for applying for British citizenship – go to GOV.UK: check if you can become a British citizen.

Contact UK Visas and Immigration if you have any doubt about your eligibility.

Book an appointment

Nationality checking appointments will take place at UKVCAS centres around the UK – book your appointment using the UKVCAS website.

UKVCAS: book your appointment

You can read about service changes that affect applications for settlement, citizenship or to stay in the UK, at GOV.UK: UK Visa's and Immigration new front end services.

Help to use the online service

The government's UK Visa's and Immigration (UKVI) service offers 'Assisted Digital' support for people who don't have the access, skills or confidence to apply online.

The Assisted Digital service does not provide immigration advice.

You can contact 'We are Digital', below, if you need Assisted Digital support with your online immigration application.

We are Digital

: 03333 445 675


You can also text the word 'VISA' to 07537 416 944.

When sending an email, please include a phone number on which you can be contacted

Advice on immigration and nationality

We cannot give immigration or nationality advice.

For immigration advice, go to Citizens Advice: Immigration.

For nationality advice, contact the government UK Visas and Immigration service. You can either: