Coalhouse Fort Park is 400 metres south of East Tilbury Village on Princess Margaret Road. With its riverside location, the park has a unique setting making it one of the most interesting open spaces to visit in Thurrock.
The park has been given the Green Flag Award. This award is the national standard for parks and green spaces across England and Wales.
The park is located next to the River Thames. It is ideal for quiet riverside walks and family days out, and is a great place to start exploring the local area.
Features of the park include:
- a free car park
- picnic areas in a parkland setting (no barbecues)
- toilets with disabled facilities
- a children’s play area
- a ranger on site most days
The park's ecological significance is one of its prime assets. There are conservation management schemes in place to maintain and enhance its natural habitats.
The saltmarsh has been identified as nationally and internationally important and is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, a Special Protection Area and a Ramsar site.
Dogs should be kept under control within the nature conservation areas.
Coalhouse Fort is open on the last Sunday of every month between March and November. A guided tour is included in the entrance fee. There are several special event days each year, including classic cars and military history.
The fort was built between 1861 and 1874 – partly under the direction of General Gordon (of Khartoum) – and was one of a number of forts built to fortify the Thames estuary. The fort stands within a parkland setting and features a number of World War 2 gunnery posts.
The Coalhouse Fort Project website is maintained by volunteers and provides information about their work, events programme and the fort itself.
To register your interest in becoming an archiving volunteer for Coalhouse Fort, go to Volunteer Essex: Archiving Project Volunteer.
The ranger works 10 days on site and 4 days off-site – alternate weekends off.
: 01375 842 306
Find out more about neighbouring St Catherine’s Church, East Tilbury Village.