Adult social care complaints

We have a complaints manager who acts on complaints about adult social care. You can make a complaint by contacting the complaints manager.

Social care complaints manager
Complaints, Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 643


This is a single stage complaints process:

Stage 1

By law, we must resolve complaints about adult social care within 6 months.

Our policy, however, is to resolve complaints about adult social care within 20 working days for most complaints, and within 3 months for complex complaints.

Upon receiving your complaint, we will appoint an investigating officer to look into your concerns and send you a full response.

After stage 1

If you are not satisfied with the stage 1 response, you can refer your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Complaints that involve more than one service

Sometimes complaints will cross boundaries between our social care services and those provided by the NHS. In these cases, a lead organisation will be appointed by joint arrangement to oversee the investigation and send you a full response.

Complaints about service providers

If your complaint is about an organisation that we have commissioned to provide a service, the complaint will be referred to the provider. They will process your complaint using their own complaints procedure. We monitor the outcome of complaints about service providers to make sure the law is complied with.

If part of your complaint relates to us, we will tell you which part will be investigated by us and which part will be referred to the service provider.

If you are not satisfied with the response from the service provider we may process the complaint through our adult social care complaints procedure, to make sure it is investigated appropriately.