COVID-19 is an illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It's caused by a virus called coronavirus.
Residents, businesses and visitors in Thurrock should follow government information about the situation in the UK, along with guidance on what to do if you think you are at risk.
Go to our Thurrock Council services page for information on what we're doing to help keep residents safer, and how services are affected.
Latest government information and advice
The government provides public information and guidance on the outbreak of coronavirus, including the current situation in the UK, and information about the virus and its symptoms. Go to:
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – what you need to do
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – what you can and can't do from Wednesday 13 May
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – opening schools to more pupils from Monday 1 June
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – staying alert and safe ('social distancing')
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – staying safe outside your home
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – shielding and protecting extremely vulnerable people
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – advice for people with animals
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – food and shopping
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) – support for the bereaved
- Public Health England blog: coronavirus (COVID-19) – what you need to know
Latest NHS health information
The NHS provides information on how coronavirus is spread and how to avoid catching or spreading germs. Go to NHS: coronavirus (COVID-19) information.
If you're worried your child might have the virus, go to NHS: coronavirus in children.
To protect yourself and others, do not go to a GP, pharmacy or hospital if you think that either:
- you have symptoms
- you might have been exposed to the virus
Go to NHS 111 online: coronavirus (COVID-19) advice to find out what to do if you think you have symptoms or have been exposed to the virus.
The NHS has an open survey survey to find more about how and where coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting people currently. Go to NHS: tell the NHS about your current experience of coronavirus.
Latest travel advice
The government provides guidance for people travelling within the UK and abroad. Go to:
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) transport and travel in the UK
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) safer travel guidance for passengers
- GOV.UK: coronavirus (COVID-19) travel abroad
Financial support is available for individuals, businesses and other organisations that have suffered financially due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
The government has also published specialist advice for employers and staff in different types of businesses and services. Go to our coronavirus (COVID-19) business and service advice links.
All non-essential businesses must close during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. You should report any non-essential business that has remained open.
Residents and businesses can get advice on fraud, scams and staying safe online.