If you are employed or self-employed on a low income and have to self-isolate at home, you may be entitled to a one-off Test and Trace Support payment.
Who is eligible to apply
You can apply to us for a Test and Trace Support payment from a national fund provided by the government if you:
- live in the borough of Thurrock
- have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate at home, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus, or because you have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive and you are not fully vaccinated
- are over 18 years-old
- are employed or self-employed
- are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
To apply, you will need to have an 8-digit NHS Test and Trace Account ID, also known as a CTAS number. If you are not given one and don’t have one already, you can read how to request one at NHS: COVID-19 app support.
If you are a parent or carer, you can apply to us for a Test and Trace Support payment if you cannot work and lose income whilst caring for a child who:
- has their main place of residence in the borough of Thurrock
- is either under 16 years-old and attending a school or childcare setting, or is aged between 16 and 25 and has an Education, Health and Care plan
- either has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, their school or childcare provider because they tested positive for coronavirus, or must self-isolate due to a health issue after recently being in close contact with someone who has tested positive
- did not attend their place of education or childcare during the period for which they had to self-isolate
Payment is limited to one parent or carer per household for the child or young person's self-isolation period. We will contact the school or childcare provider to confirm the isolation.
You will not be eligible for a payment if you are in quarantine after travelling abroad, unless you have tested positive during the 10-day quarantine period.
To apply for a Test and Trace Support payment because either you or your child have to self-isolate, you must be receiving at least one of:
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit
If you don't receive any of the listed benefits
If you don't receive any of the benefits listed above, we may still be able to offer you a discretionary payment from a local fund provided by the government.
You can apply a discretionary payment if, immediately prior to self-isolation, you:
- were working
- were in receipt of Local Council Tax Support
- had less than £5,000 in capital (savings and investments)
You can also apply if, immediately prior to self-isolation, you:
- were working at least 16 hours per week
- earned a maximum gross income of £500 per week, or £450 per week if under 25 years-old
Discretionary payments will be made until the limited fund provided by the government runs out.
Amount of support you may receive
You may receive a one-off support payment of £500.
Payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.
When you must self-isolate
By law, you must comply with any instruction to self-isolate from NHS Test and Trace.
You may be fined if you don't stay at home and self-isolate when either:
- you have had a positive test result for COVID-19
- you are instructed by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate because you are a contact of someone who has had a positive test result and you are not fully vaccinated
From 16 August 2021, you don't need to self-isolate if you have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive and you are fully vaccinated.
If you test positive for COVID-19, it is an offence to knowingly provide false information about your close contacts to NHS Test and Trace.
If you don't comply with these requirements, you could be fined up to £10,000.
When you can apply
This support scheme runs until 30 September 2021.
You must claim within 42 days of the date you started self-isolating.
How to apply
To apply for a Test and Trace Support payment, complete the online form below.