Council tax discounts

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – support for businesses and the self-employed

The government is providing a package of measures to support businesses through the period of disruption caused by COVID-19. For details, go to GOV.UK Business Support: Coronavirus and GOV.UK: COVID-19 – support for businesses.

Go to our business rates pages for information on assistance with business rates and government cash grants for businesses. We are also providing financial assistance for the self-employed in the form of deferred council tax payments.

Who gets a discount

A full council tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home.

You get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for council tax and live on your own.

You get a discount if you live with people who don't count as adults for council tax.

Discounts for disabled people also apply.

Properties undergoing major works can get a 50% discount for up to 1 year, after which the full council tax bill must be paid.

Empty property discounts apply for 1 month only.

Some properties may be fully exempt or charged a premium.

You should claim discounts when you first qualify, and tell us straight away if your circumstances change.

Who isn't counted for council tax

These people are not counted as adults for council tax:

  • children under 18
  • people on some apprentice schemes
  • 18 and 19 year-olds in full-time education
  • full-time college and university students
  • young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency
  • student nurses
  • foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
  • people with a severe mental disability
  • live-in carers who look after someone who isn't their partner, spouse or child
  • diplomats

To qualify for a discount as an apprentice you must:

  • have a declaration from your employer
  • be paid no more than £195 a week
  • be on a training programme for a qualification from a body recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual)

Apply for a single person discount

You can apply for a single person discount by logging-in to My Account. You can create an account if you don't already have one.

My Account - council tax