The government is providing a £150 one-off energy bills rebate for households in bands A to D, registered for council tax at 1 April 2022, except where the property is empty or a second home. For information on when and how you will receive the rebate, go to £150 energy bill rebate. To download the government's leaflet, go to your council tax bill explained.
Council tax discounts
Properties undergoing major works can get a 50% discount for up to 1 year, after which the full council tax bill must be paid.
Who can get a discount
You may qualify for this discount if your property is undergoing:
- a major structural alteration – for example, adding a large extension
- major repairs that are necessary to make the property fit for living in – the property must have been uninhabitable before work starts
Examples of major repairs include repairs to the roof, walls or foundation – for example, replacing a seriously defective roof.
Examples of individual works are not considered to be major include:
- replacing a few roof tiles
- replacing kitchens and bathrooms that are old but can still be used
- installing central heating
- installing double glazing
- installing a roof window
- adding a porch
- replacement of floors and ceilings
If several of the above works are happening at the same time, we may consider the property is undergoing major works.
When to claim for a discount
You should let us know before you start repair work so we can inspect the property and decide if it is uninhabitable.
If you let us know after the work starts, you will have to send us strong evidence – for example, an independent surveyor's report and photographs – dated before the work started. This evidence must clearly show the property was uninhabitable, otherwise we cannot give you a discount.
By law, we do not have to accept back-dated claims.
What makes a property uninhabitable
Deciding whether a property is uninhabitable can be difficult. We would consider:
- a property is uninhabitable – cannot be lived in – if it is semi-derelict
- a property is inhabitable – can be lived in – if it is basically sound but needs updating, refurbishment and redecoration
Apply for this discount
You can apply for this discount using the form below.