Council tenants

Household contents insurance

The building you live in is owned by us so we are responsible for insuring it.

We arrange insurance cover through Royal Sun Alliance.

What our insurance covers

Our building insurance covers the communal elements of the building and any properties that are our responsibility to maintain. This includes the building structure.

Contents insurance

We are not responsible for insuring your possessions.

We recommend that you insure them so that you can afford to replace them if there is an accident or break-in. We have arranged an insurance deal with Royal Sun Alliance that is easy for tenants to join. You can pay your premiums with your rent payments.

Complete the form below and return to our Rents department.

Rents department
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 815


Making an insurance claim

If you need to make a claim you should first read your policy booklet carefully, particularly the 'Claims conditions' and 'Policy exclusion' pages. You should check:

  • that the loss or damage is covered - read carefully "what is not covered”
  • any policy exclusions or conditions that may apply

Your policy does not cover:

  • any loss or damage which has been caused by wear and tear
  • repairs and work necessary to maintain the home in a good condition

The amount of you can claim may be reduced if the sum insured on your policy is not enough.

It is very important to read and understand the 'Declaration' on the last page of the claim form before you sign it.

Completed claims forms should be sent to the address below.

Direct Group Property Services
Direct House, Lacy Way, Lowfields Business Park, Elland, HX5 9DB