Parents who suffer a stillbirth must register the stillbirth of the child within 3 months.
An appointment should be made as usual, and it is the intention of the register office that you be seen as soon as possible.
The mother can register the stillbirth but the father can only do this if he was married to the mother at the time of the stillbirth. If the parents are not married, the father must attend the registration if he wishes his name to go in the register.
You will need to bring with you a form from the medical practitioner or midwife who was present at the stillbirth. This form is called a Medical Certificate of Stillbirth.
You will need to provide the following information:
- date and place of stillbirth
- forename and surname of the baby (you do not have to give the baby a forename)
- the parents' forenames and surnames
- the place of birth of each parent
- the occupation of each parent
- usual address of each parent
- date of birth of each parent
- date of marriage (if married)
- mother's maiden name (if applicable)
You will be provided with a certificate of registration for which there is no charge.
You may purchase a full certificate of stillbirth.
Contact Thurrock Register Office for information and assistance.
: 01375 375 245 – except birth or death registration
Registering births or deaths:
- phone 01375 372 822
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
- Saturday morning – ceremonies only