Elections and election results

Nomination process to stand as a candidate

If you want to stand as a candidate, you should fill in a nomination paper. You will need to:

  • find 10 people in the ward who will support you
  • make sure they are on the electoral register
  • ask them to sign your nomination paper
  • sign and fill in a consent to nomination form
  • hand in your forms by the deadline

To download a nomination paper and a consent to nomination form, go to the Electoral Commission website.

Next steps

To support people who want to stand as candidates, we will:

  • hold a meeting to provide information
  • supply blank nomination papers
  • provide an election timetable

You can ask us to give you a copy of the electoral register and check your papers before you hand them in.

When to hand in your nomination paper

We run each election to a legal timetable. On our website and notice board will publish:

  • the date to begin handing in your papers
  • the closing date and time
  • where to hand in your papers
  • how to get your papers checked
  • a list of other candidates in your ward

Managing the process

The person in charge of elections is known as the Returning Officer. The Returning Officer for elections in Thurrock is the Chief Executive. He will name people to deal with issues on his behalf at election time.

There may be different rules for parliamentary elections and referendums.