We enforce a wide range of laws to protect the community.
- laws must be enforced firmly but fairly
- prevention is better than cure
Where possible we will help businesses to comply with laws by working with them early on, giving them information and advice.
Action we can take
There are many types of action we can take to enforce the law. These include:
- issuing a fixed penalty notice (FPN) or penalty charge notice (PCN)
- refusal, revocation or suspension of licence
- issuing a statutory notice
- issuing a prohibition notice
- enforcement undertaking or injunctive proceedings
- confiscation or forfeiture proceedings
- simple cautions
- making a proceeds of crime application
- informal action
Our enforcement policy sets out when and how we use our legal powers and explains what the different types of action involve.