Extra-care housing - assisted living

Getting extra care housing

You can choose any care or support provider if you pay for your own services or receive a Direct Payment.

If we look after the funding of your care, you can choose a care provider only from a list of provider with whom we have a contract.


To qualify for extra care housing you must:

  • be a Thurrock Council tenant housing association tenant, or be eligible to join the housing waiting list
  • be over 60 years-old, or 55 years-old for Elizabeth Gardens, with care needs or receiving the higher rate Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
  • live in Thurrock or have the need to live in Thurrock – for example, to receive support from relatives
  • receive or need at least 7 hours of care per week

Applying for sheltered housing

You must use our online housing application form to apply for sheltered housing. Go to applying for council housing.

We will contact you to discuss your application and arrange a home visit to assess your needs and whether you are eligible.

Buying a property

Properties may be available for sale at Elizabeth Gardens, managed by Anchor Hanover.

To find out more please contact the Hanover Housing sales team:

Sheltered housing sales team

: 0800 280 2575

: sales.services@hanover.org.uk