We provide an extra care housing scheme at Piggs Corner in Grays. Property here is for rent only.
A second scheme, Elizabeth Gardens is managed by Hanover Housing. It is in Long Lane, Grays and has properties for rent and sale.
Both schemes are designed to provide extra care to meet the needs of older people – and, exceptionally, younger people who receive the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance – who wish to live independently.
Extra care supports people towards an inclusive, fulfilling future by providing independence, dignity and security.
- let you stay in your own home for as long as possible
- increase the choice of housing available to you
- provide another choice to residential care
- help you stay independent
- give you all the usual rights of a tenant and provide the care and support you need
- provide significant personal support that will let people stay in their own home
To qualify for for extra care housing you must be:
- a Thurrock Council tenant or eligible to join the housing waiting list
- over 60 years of age, or 55 years for Elizabeth Gardens, with care needs or receive higher rate Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
- live in Thurrock or have the need to live in Thurrock – for example, to receive support from relatives
- receive or need at least 7 hours of care per week
Care Quality Commission report
Extra Care (Piggs Corner) is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC inspected the service in November 2017 and published their findings in January 2018.