Freedom of information response

Abandon supermarket trolley

Publication date: 
Thursday 16 July 2020

1. Council name:

2. Contact name:

3. Contact email address:

4. Contact telephone number:

5. Have you implemented the EVPA1990 and Clean Neighbourhood Act 2005

6. Have you collected any trolleys in the last three years?

7. What is your agreed charge for the collection of an abandoned trolley?

8. What is your trolley cost storage (per day)?


1. Thurrock Council

2. Refusal S40 (see below)

3. Refusal S40 (see below)

4. 01375 652652 -Thurrock Council number

5. Yes if it refers to the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

6. No

7. £ N/A

8. £N/A

Unfortunately we are unable to provide in full the information you have requested.  We do hold the information but an absolute exemption applies.  Personal Information (Section 40,2)

Personal data of any other person (third party data) is exempt under section 40(2) if disclosure would breach one of the data protection principles. This aspect of Section 40 is an Absolute Exemption and is therefore not subject to the Public Interest Test.

The names of officers working for the Council is personal data specific to them. It is therefore subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act. Information can be withheld if its disclosure would be likely to breach one or more of the Principles of the Data Protection Act. There is no prior expectation on the part of team Managers (or other officers working below the level of Director) that their names and job titles / positions would be published into the wider public domain under FOI. A disclosure made under FOI constitutes a publication to the world at large. We believe that to disclose this would be likely to breach the first Principle of the Data Protection Act by unfairly contravening their right to privacy and confidentiality in the work place.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 10069