Freedom of information response

Advice services for Deaf people in BSL

Publication date: 
Tuesday 10 November 2020

Could you please tell me if your council provides, commissions or funds an information, advice and guidance service specifically for Deaf residents, in British Sign Language (BSL), and that:

(a) If yes, can you supply contact details for who provides this service; and
(b) If not, what arrangements are in place to ensure Deaf people are able to access advice on an equal basis to hearing residents. 


The Council does not commission or fund an information advice and guidance service, we have Sign video that means our Deaf residents can access council services via a live BSL video interpreter.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 10329