Freedom of information response

Bird Scaring Device

Publication date: 
Wednesday 11 September 2019

Cover period: 30 June 2018-30 June 2019

1. Are you told in advance when local farmers will be using ABDS i.e a weekly schedule?
2. If so may I have a copy of that schedule
3. How many noise nuisance complaints (all causes) were received in the above 12 month period?
4. How many of these related to ABSD?
5. NFU Code of Practice specifies that farmers should register ABSD with the local council. How many farmers were registered with your council during the above period?
6. NFU Code of Practice is a voluntary code, but Councils are allowed to issue bye-laws. Does the Council have a bye-law regarding the use of ABSD?


1. Thurrock Council Environmental Health has received no notifications of ABDS usage during the period specified.

2. No schedules are available to view.

3. 2018 = 1472 registered complaints

    2019 (to 30/06/2019) = 696 registered complaints

4. We received two complaints attributed to bird-scarers in the period stated

5. None

6. No

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address.  Your request will be considered by the Strategic Lead for Information Management who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council

Request reference:
FOI 9324