Freedom of information response

Looked after children/siblings

Publication date: 
Monday 30 December 2019

1. As of today’s date (28.11.19) How many looked after children are in the care of your local authority?

2. As of today’s date (28.11.19) How many sibling groups are in the care of your local authority? 

3. What is the total number of children within those sibling groups? 

4. How many sibling groups are all placed together?  

5.How many children in your care, who are part of a sibling group, are not living with at least one of their siblings? 

6. During the last financial year (2018-2019) and this financial year to date, How many children placed for adoption by the local authority have been separated (through adoption) from any birth siblings?


1. 278

2. 61

3. 146

4. 35

5. 44

6. 2018/19 = 7   Year to date = Fewer than 5

We are unable to provide an exact number for question 6 above as:

  • There is a low number involved.
  • The release of this information could identify individuals which would constitute their personal data under the Data Protection Act
  • There is no prior expectation on the part of these individuals that their personal information would be published in the wider public domain under the FOI Act
  • Personal data of any other person is exempt under section 40 (2) of the Data Protection Act.

However in the interests of transparency we are able to provide this information to you categorised as fewer than 5 to give you an indication of the figures

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 9621