Freedom of information response

Planning applications for proposed residential developments

Publication date: 
Monday 11 May 2020

1. Is 'Separation Distances between buildings' the only method used as a guide to assess visual privacy in the determination of planning applications for proposed residential developments?

2. If the answer to question 1 is no, what other methods are used to assess visual privacy in the determination of planning application for proposed residential developments?

For question 1, can you provided me with a 'Yes' or 'No'.

For question 2, can you provide me with just a list of the methods.

If there are no established guidelines on how visual privacy is accessed, can you also include that in your response.


1. No

2. The Council’s Design Guides which are available on the Council webpage show how the Council approaches design, including layout and privacy issues in the planning process:

Methods such as comparative assessment of existing built form can also be used.

Site visits are also used to carry our assessment of privacy.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 9955