Freedom of information response

Road Maintenance

Publication date: 
Tuesday 6 November 2018

1) Does your local authority use a risk based approach to the repair of highway defects such as potholes?

2) If yes to Q1, when did you switch to a risk based approach? If no to Q1, what approach do you use?

3) How does your frequency of monitoring for highway defects, such as potholes, differ for different road types/carriageway hierarchy: as defined in Well-maintained Highways: Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management (e.g. motorway, strategic route, main distributor, secondary distributor, link road, local access road)?

4) In what ways is your authority alerted to or detect highway defects such as potholes?

5) How do you categorise highway defects, such as potholes, and how are those categories defined?

6) For identified highway defects, such as potholes, what are your intervention criteria?

7) For the different highway defects categories identified, how quickly to you aim to repair them/what is the repair schedule once they have been entered into the system?

8) Have your intervention criteria for highway defects, such as potholes, changed in the last 5 years? If so, please indicate when, and what the previous intervention criteria were.

If this information is available in a highways maintenance policy document, please provide the latest copy (either as an attachment or link) and identify the page number/sections for the answers to the above questions.


1) Yes

2) Pre-2016

3) See maintenance strategy:

4) Routine safety inspections; Public reporting (via contact centre or web app);  Defects noted in passing by staff

5) Defects are categorised by defect type (e.g pothole, footway not level) and assigned a priority based upon an inspectors assessment of risk (e.g. 2 hour response, 3 day, 5 day, 30 day etc.)

6) See maintenance strategy (Question 3 above).

7) All potholes above or at intervention level: 3 days. All emergencies: 2 hour make safe. Everything else: dependant on risk

8) No, currently under review. See maintenance strategy.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 8442