Freedom of information response

UC claimants rent arrears

Publication date: 
Friday 20 March 2020

For each of the following points in time:

  • End of the reporting year 2018/19

  • End of the reporting year 2017/18

  • End of the reporting year 2016/17

  • End of the reporting year 2015/16

Please could you tell me:

1. How many council tenants (including those in council-run emergency/temporary accommodation if applicable) were in arrears on their rent?

2. What was the total sum owed in arrears?

3. How many of those tenants were Universal Credit claimants?

4. What was the total THEY owed?

Please could you also tell me:

5. How does the council plan to cover the current shortfall in rent owed in arrears?

6. When was Universal Credit rolled out in your authority’s area?


1.  Council tenants 2018/19 = 3208; 2017/18=3174. Council –run emergency/temporary = 2018/19=80; 2017/18=86

2. Council tenants 2018/19 = £1,151,139.87  2017/18 = £1,026,624.09 Council-run emergency/Temporary 2018/19 = £49,963.61  2017/18 = £51,179.80

3. Council tenants 2018/19 = 849 tenants on UC. Council-run emergency/Temporary 2018/19 = 4 on UC

4. Council tenants 2018/19 arrears £593,007.05. Council-run emergency/Temporary =£5,570.25

5. The Council reviews its arrears and bad debt position as part of the monthly rent reconciliation process.  When setting the base budget, an assessment is made as to the likely level of bad debt provision adjustment that will need to be made in the forthcoming year, which is included as part of the HRA long term business plan.  This is based on a weighting criteria largely driven by aged debt analysis.  The arrears have a financial impact when the decision is made to write off the any outstanding arrears, and this is made against the bad debt provision. 

6. October 2017

*Thurrock Council changed computer systems in November 2016, we therefore do not hold statistics for the information requested back to 2015/16 or 2016/17

**We can only provide Universal Credit information for 2018/19 as we went live with Universal Credit in 2017 and reports were not produced until the financial year of 2018/19.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 9819