Freedom of information response

Unpaid/Outstanding Council Tax

Publication date: 
Thursday 16 May 2019

1. Would it be possible to request a breakdown of the amount of unpaid / outstanding council tax from the year 2013/14 to present day per council tax year? 

2. A breakdown for the same period for the amount of unpaid council tax that has been written off per council tax year, also the number of prosecutions brought by you between 2013/14 and now for unpaid council tax. 

3. Finally, can I get a break down of % of unpaid council tax per council tax band and type of property e.g., privately owned, social etc.

  2012/2013 2013/2014 2014/2015 2015/2016 2016/2017 2017/2018 2018/2019
Amount Currently outstanding £0.00 £0.00 £39,955.01 £120,641.36 £238,232.43 £517,271.43 £780,770.16
Written Off £396,823.26 £444,680.17 £427,440.02 £385,934.32 £305,963.18 £201,840.28 £72,380.19
No. of Prosecutions - Assume this means No. of Liability Orders Obtained 5,420 7,540 6,456 5,295 5,258 4,930 4,892
% of unpaid council tax per council tax band and type of property e.g., privately owned, social etc. Data request not specific and data not available at this granular level

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 8995