Gypsy and traveller sites

Unauthorised traveller encampments

Action will be taken to remove any unauthorised traveller encampment on land in Thurrock.

The following encampments have been reported:

Location Reported Status Next action
St George's Field, Blackshots, Grays 25 May 2017 'Direction to Leave' issued on 26 May, giving 24 hours to vacate the site. A Court Summons will be served and a Court Order issued, instructing them to vacate.
The Spinny, Lodge Lane, Grays 22 May 2017 Site visited on 22 May. 'Direction to Leave' served on 24 May, giving 24 hours to vacate the site. Encampment did not vacate. Court Summons served 25 May and court date set for 30 May. A Court Order will be issued, instructing them to vacate. If they fail to, bailiffs will be instructed to evict the encampment.

How to report an unauthorised encampment

If you see someone in the act of using force to enter land or a building, phone 999.

Phone 101 – the police non-emergency number – if you see an unauthorised encampment already on land in Thurrock.

You can also report encampments in Thurrock through the Essex Countywide Traveller Unit (ECTU) website, below.

Report an unauthorised traveller encampment


Police can visit an unauthorised encampment and, in some circumstances, use emergency powers – often called 'Section 61 powers' – to direct them to leave. The senior officer who visits the encampment will decide what action should be taken.

If you suffer anti-social behaviour of any sort, you should call the police.

Go to Police action against unauthorised encampments.

Encampments on council land

Unauthorised encampments on council land are dealt with by the Essex Countywide Traveller Unit (ECTU). ECTU can apply to court for an eviction order. Some encampments only stay for a few days and leave before the full procedure is completed.

The process can take 7 to 10 working-days if court orders are needed.

Go to ECTU action against unauthorised encampments.

Encampments on private land

An unauthorised encampment on private land is subject to the laws of trespass, which is a civil matter. It is for the landowner to take action, which can include calling on private bailiffs to repossess the land by use of reasonable force.

Private landowners are also responsible for the removal of waste from their land.