Help to improve your private housing

Help with energy efficiency

You can get help to reduce the amount of energy you use and save money on your bills.

Energy saving advice

Energy Saving Trust has an advice centre that can help you reduce the amount of electricity and gas you use at home. Contact them for free impartial advice that may save money on your energy bills.

Our Well Homes team can offer energy saving advice to adults in private housing who are vulnerable because either they:

  • have a mental health problem or mental illness, including dementia
  • have a physical disability
  • have a sensory impairment
  • have a learning disability
  • are old and frail
  • are experiencing a temporary illness

The team will also check if you can get funding for larger efficiency measures such as a boiler replacement, loft and wall insulation through the government's Energy Company Obligation scheme.

Contact the Well Homes team for advice or to book a free visit, if you're eligible.

Energy saving improvements at home

You should ask your energy provider about energy efficiency measures such as improved boilers, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. You can ask other energy providers if your current provider doesn't offer help.

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funding

If you claim certain benefits and either own your home or rent from a private landlord, you might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements from the government's Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. For details, go to our energy company obligation page.

Help to reduce your bills

Changing the company that supplies electricity and gas to your house can sometimes save you hundreds of pounds a year.

USwitch can help you switch your energy provider. They can offer price comparisons and help you understanding your energy bills.

Citizens Advice consumer service offers free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues, including energy. Their website includes information on finding the best energy deals and checking on your consumer rights. Go to Citizens Advice: your energy supplier.

Ofgem is the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets – an independent organisation that protects energy customers. They can show you ways to reduce your energy use, and ways to pay less for the energy you do use. Go to Ofgem: save money on your gas and electricity bills.

Priority Services Register

The Priority Services Register is a free service provided by suppliers and network operators. Each energy supplier and network operator maintains its own register.

Go to Ofgem: Priority Services Register to find out who is eligible, how to get on the register, and the help you can get when you are on the register.