Free education transport is only available for children that attend their nearest school and who meet the following criteria. They must:
- live more than 2 miles from their nearest suitable school for children under 8 years old
- live more than 3 miles from their nearest suitable school for children 8 years old or over
Education transport is under review. We currently provide transport for children under 11 years old who live 2 miles or more from their nearest suitable school. Transport is also provided for children aged 11 to 16 who live 3 miles or more from their nearest suitable school.
It is available for:
- children with special education needs, disabilities or mobility problems, subject to assessment
- children whose route to school is unsafe
- children from low income families, in receipt of free school meals or where parents or carers receive working tax credit at the maximum rate.
A school within a catchment area identified by an academy or a free school may not be considered the nearest school for the purpose of determining eligibility for transport.
Read our full policy, below.
We have a limited concessionary school transport scheme to assist pupils who are not entitled to free transport.