Free education transport is only available for children that attend their nearest school and who meet the following criteria. They must:
- live more than 2 miles from their nearest suitable school for children under 8 years old
- live more than 3 miles from their nearest suitable school for children 8 years old or over
Education transport is under review. We currently provide transport for children under 11 years old who live 2 miles or more from their nearest suitable school. Transport is also provided for children aged 11 to 16 who live 3 miles or more from their nearest suitable school.
It is available for:
- children with special education needs, disabilities or mobility problems, subject to assessment
- children whose route to school is unsafe
- children from low income families, in receipt of free school meals or where parents or carers receive working tax credit at the maximum rate.
A school within a catchment area identified by an academy or a free school may not be considered the nearest school for the purpose of determining eligibility for transport.
More details are in our full home to school travel and transport policy.
Read our policy statement on transport arrangements and financial assistance for young people in education or training beyond the age of 16, below.
We have a limited concessionary school transport scheme to assist pupils who are not entitled to free transport.