Work that needs planning permission

Planning permission

Planning permission, in simple terms, is like asking if you can do a certain piece of building work. It will be granted – sometimes with conditions – or refused.

You can make some types of works to your house without needing planning permission. These are called permitted development rights.

The Planning Portal website has lots of guidance on planning permission and when you will need it. You can explore the online houses linked below to find out about specific types of work.

House guide

The Planning Portal interactive detached house gives guidance on many common householder projects, including home microgeneration, in England.

Terrace guide

The Planning Portal interactive terrace gives guidance relating to flats, shops and basements as well as many common householder projects, in England.

Before you apply

If you think you need planning permission we encourage you to use our pre-application advice service before you apply.

You can submit an application to us via the Planning Portal apply online website.