Improving your health
Smoking is one of the main causes of death in Thurrock – 1 in every 2 long-term smokers die early because of smoking.
Smoking can increase the risk of death from cancer. It causes:
- heart disease
- lung disease
To reduce these risks, you must stop smoking. The benefits of giving up smoking include:
- reduced risk of lung cancer, heart disease and other lung disease
- reduced risk of disability and illness caused by smoking
- keep others from being exposed to second hand smoke
- your food will taste better
- you will reduce the chances of your children suffering from bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma attacks, meningitis and ear infections
- you will improve your fertility levels and your chance of a healthy pregnancy and baby
- you will improve your breathing and fitness
Research tells us that two-thirds of smokers say they want to stop.
Where to get help
You can get help to stop smoking by phoning Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service, who can arrange an appointment with a Stop Smoking Adviser either at your local GP practice or at a venue local to you.
There are a number of other ways you can get information and support to stop smoking:
- go to NHS SmokeFree for help to quit
- contact Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service
- book an appointment with your GP
- go to a local pharmacy
Download our strategy for prevention, treatment and tobacco control to reduce smoking in Thurrock.