Marriage and civil partnership

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – marriages and civil partnerships

Thurrock Register Office is open for booked appointments only. You must not visit if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of COVID-19. Visitors must follow safety requests from staff.

Due to problems with the UK national Registration Online (RON) system, appointments are taking longer than usual and there may be a delay in the next available appointment. We are experiencing a high demand for Register Office services, but we will answer your phone or email enquiries as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The number of people who can attend a ceremony depends on how many the venue can safely hold, based on a COVID-19 risk assessment. Guests must follow coronavirus (COVID-19) safety rules.

Ceremonies must be conducted in a 'reasonable time'. For Register Office ceremonies – limited to the couple plus 2 witnesses attending – we will use the Traditional ceremony.

British couples marrying abroad

If a British couple marries in a foreign country, the marriage is recognised under the local law of that country.

A foreign country does not include a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

Contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership to find out what you need to do.

For more information, go to GOV.UK: Getting married abroad.