Marriage and civil partnership

Civil ceremonies

If you wish to have a civil ceremony at a register office or any other building approved for civil marriage, you should first contact the superintendent registrar.

For a full list of approved premises, go to GOV.UK: Civil marriages and partnerships – approved premises list.

You will need to make arrangements at the venue in question, but as the registrar also has to be available, it's probably better to have more than one date in mind.

You will both also need to give formal notice to the superintendent registrar of the district where you live. Even if the ceremony is taking place in a different registration district to the one where you and your partner live, you need to register in the district where you actually reside.

After giving notice you must then wait a further 28 clear days before the ceremony can take place, but as a notice is valid for 12 months you can plan well in advance. Contact the register office for more information.

Thurrock Register Office – marriages and civil partnerships

: 01375 375 245


Office address:

  • Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

Ceremony and appointment addresses, depending on your booking:

  • Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX
  • Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL (entrance facing St Peter and St Paul's Church)

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.