Marriage and civil partnership

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – marriages and civil partnerships

Thurrock Register Office is accepting appointments for notices of marriage and civil partnerships. If you had already booked an appointment, we will contact you to arrange a new date and time. We will resume notices for later dates in due course.

Civil ceremonies can take place. We are prioritising ceremonies that were booked to take place in the Register Office, Lacey Room or Hawthorne Suite of the Thameside Complex between March and July. We will contact couples in due course to provide guidance and new terms and conditions before rescheduling your ceremony, should you wish to.

If your ceremony had been due to take place at one of our approved premises and you wish to change the date, you should email If you are keeping your original date, we will contact you in due course to provide further advice and guidance.

You must not come to the Register Office if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). All visitors must follow government social distancing guidance and safety requests from staff.

Marriage registration

Your marriage cannot go ahead unless the legal formalities have been completed

For civil ceremonies and religious ceremonies in non-Church of England or Church in Wales premises, notices of marriage must be given in person to the superintendent registrar by you and your partner. No-one else can do so on your behalf. Nationally set fees apply in all circumstances.

Go to entering notice of marriage or civil partnership for information and documents required.

Once the notice of marriage has been given, it will be displayed on the public notice board for 28 days, after which, if all documentation has been received and cleared, an authority for your marriage to proceed will be issued.

It should also be noted that, even if your ceremony is small, you will need to provide at least two other people who are willing to witness the marriage and sign the marriage register.

Where an advance (provisional) booking for a marriage has been made, it is essential that a formal notice is given to the superintendent registrar once you are legally able to do so and within the time arranged with the superintendent registrar.

Registration officers have a statutory duty to report any marriage they suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading the statutory immigration controls.