Marriage and civil partnership

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – marriages and civil partnerships

Thurrock Register Office is open for booked appointments only. You must not visit if you or anyone in your household has symptoms of COVID-19. Visitors must follow safety requests from staff.

Due to problems with the UK national Registration Online (RON) system, appointments are taking longer than usual and there may be a delay in the next available appointment. We are experiencing a high demand for Register Office services, but we will answer your phone or email enquiries as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The number of people who can attend a ceremony depends on how many the venue can safely hold, based on a COVID-19 risk assessment. Guests must follow coronavirus (COVID-19) safety rules.

Ceremonies must be conducted in a 'reasonable time'. For Register Office ceremonies – limited to the couple plus 2 witnesses attending – we will use the Traditional ceremony.

Passports for newlyweds and civil partners

Newlyweds and civil partners can apply in advance for a passport using their new name.

Go to GOV.UK: Passports for newlyweds and civil partners and download the application form (PD2).

Send the completed form by post to Thurrock Register Office, including a self-addressed stamped envelope and your daytime phone number.

Upon receipt, we will contact you to take a credit or debit card payment by phone, and will return the form to you once completed.

If you prefer, you can contact us to make an appointment.

The fee for this service is £35.

Thurrock Register Office
Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX



  • 01375 372 822 – birth or death registration
  • 01375 375 245 – marriages or civil partnerships

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for:

  • emergency death registrations for timely burials in line with religious or cultural practices
  • emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.