Marriage and civil partnership

Renewal of marriage vows

The renewal of marriage vows is a unique and personal ceremony.

Although many renewals take place at milestone anniversaries – for example, ruby, gold or diamond wedding anniversaries – the ceremony is just as appropriate at any stage of marriage. It is also ideal for a couple who are married abroad, but wish to have a celebration for those family and friends who were unable to attend the wedding.

A renewal of marriage vows ceremony is primarily celebratory. They have no legal effect and are not legally binding on those who participate, and must have no religious content.

You will need to ask 2 people to witness the signing of the certificate of the event, however.

Please contact us to arrange a renewal of marriage vows ceremony. We will be able to advise you on approved premises, available dates, and fees. You will need to show your marriage certificate before a renewal of marriage vows ceremony can be booked.

Renewal of marriage vows ceremonies last between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on the number of options and readings chosen.

Ceremonies are offered in the register office on weekdays and Saturday mornings, or at any approved premises.

A celebrant will be appointed to conduct your ceremony, but will not be acting in any official capacity, even if they also work as a registrar. They will assist you in creating your own unique ceremony, and have been trained in conducting many different ceremonies – do ask their advice on anything you are unsure about.

Thurrock Register Office – marriages and civil partnerships

: 01375 375 245


Office address:

  • Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

Ceremony and appointment addresses, depending on your booking:

  • Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX
  • Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL (entrance facing St Peter and St Paul's Church)

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.