Marriages and civil partnerships

Civil partnerships for opposite-sex couples

Opposite-sex couples may now give notice of their intention to form a civil partnership – opposite-sex civil partnership registrations can take place from 31 December 2019 onwards.

British couples marrying abroad

If a British couple marries in a foreign country, then the marriage is recognised under the local law of that country.  

A foreign country does not include a Commonwealth country or the Irish Republic.

Contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership to find out what you need to do. 

For more information, go to getting married abroad on GOV.UK.