Marriages and civil partnerships

Civil partnerships for opposite-sex couples

Opposite-sex couples may now give notice of their intention to form a civil partnership – opposite-sex civil partnership registrations can take place from 31 December 2019 onwards.

Civil ceremonies

If you wish to marry by civil ceremony at a register office or any other building approved for civil marriage, you should first contact the superintendent registrar.

You will also need to make arrangements at the venue in question, but as the registrar also has to be available, it is probably better to have more than one date in mind.

You will both also need to give formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district where you live. Even if the ceremony is taking place in a different registration district to the one where you and your partner live, you need to register in the district where you actually reside.

After giving notice you must then wait a further 28 clear days before the marriage can take place, but as a notice of marriage is valid for 12 months you can plan well in advance. Contact the register office for more information.

Thurrock Register Office
Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX



  • 01375 372 822 – birth or death registration
  • 01375 375 245 – marriages or civil partnerships

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for:

  • emergency death registrations for timely burials in line with religious or cultural practices
  • emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.