Marriages and civil partnerships

Civil partnerships for opposite-sex couples

Opposite-sex couples may now give notice of their intention to form a civil partnership – opposite-sex civil partnership registrations can take place from 31 December 2019 onwards.

Religious ceremonies

If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church in Wales, you will first need to speak to the vicar. Generally you will be able to marry only in the parish where you or your partner reside.

If the vicar is able to marry you, he will arrange for the Banns to be called on the three Sundays before the day of your wedding, or for a common licence to be issued. The marriage will also be registered by the Vicar, and there is generally no need to involve the local Superintendent Registrar.

Other places of religious worship

If you wish to marry by religious ceremony in any other place of religious worship, you should first see the minister or person in charge of marriages in the building. Again, one or both of you will normally have to reside in that registration district.

It is also necessary for both of you to give formal notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district where you live, and a registrar may also need to be booked. The minister or person in charge of marriages in your chosen venue should be able to assist with what is required.

Registering a building of worship

If you wish to register a building of worship for use in religious marriage ceremonies, please contact us.

Thurrock Register Office
Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX



  • 01375 372 822 – birth or death registration
  • 01375 375 245 – marriages or civil partnerships

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm – all services
  • Saturday morning – ceremonies only

Our emergency out-of-hours contact service can be used for:

  • emergency death registrations for timely burials in line with religious or cultural practices
  • emergency marriages or civil partnerships for terminally ill residents.