A series of ‘Library Bitesize’ events this summer will help residents discover the many free library services available to them directly from their phone, tablet or laptop.
Through a number of mobile applications, residents with a Thurrock library card can take advantage of free online services from their personal device, including:
- access to thousands of free e-books, e-magazines and popular e-audio titles
- finding their next library book and renewing book loans online
- learning a new language or accessing a range of digital newspapers and e-magazines
- self-development courses to develop a range of personal and professional skills
- practice questions for driving theory tests and British Citizen questions
Cllr Qaisar Abbas, Cabinet Member for Communities, said: “We are modernising our libraries and introducing new online tools to make services more accessible and more convenient. We are kickstarting summer in style this year, giving our residents first-hand insight into the many exciting library services they can access from the palm of their hand and ‘on the go’.
“Our libraries are already proving popular with this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, and the bitesize sessions are a great way for residents to drop by and find out how to take a little piece of their local library with them. With so much on offer, residents can even be prepared for holidays or trips by leaving physical books and magazines at home and taking digital copies away with them.
“Whether you’re familiar with downloading and using mobile applications, or still getting to grips with new technology, our friendly libraries team will be on hand to walk you through making the most of each and bringing everything our libraries offer into your day to day lives.”
The full list of bitesize events taking place across the borough can be found at thurrock.gov.uk/whats-on-at-your-library.