Iron Age minted coins, a clock and medal, and a women's war uniform have been named Thurrock's favourite artefacts in a public vote.
Earlier this year, Thurrock Museum invited residents to decide which 3 historical items out of a shortlist of 10 best illustrated Thurrock’s rich heritage. A total of 340 votes were cast online, in libraries and at Purfleet Community Hub.
Results were as follows:
- Iron Age minted coins – 72
- clock and medal – 70
- women’s war uniform – 69
- melted hotel bell – 58
- top hat and cane – 49
- Roman pottery – 35
- Olympic Games bronze medal – 33
- 16th century masonry – 32
- medal for exceptional service – 27
- tennis racket – 20
The 3 winning artefacts will be showcased in Thurrock Museum Collections on Tour around the borough later this year. The tour will visit events including:
- Horndon Feast and Fayre on Saturday 29 June
- Thurrock International Celebration of Culture at the forecourt of South Essex College and at St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Grays on Saturday 6 July
- Thurrock Thameside Nature Park on Friday 26 July
- Orsett Show heritage tent on Saturday 7 September.
For more information on Thurrock Museum, go to thurrock.gov.uk/museum