Enjoy the sunshine and see what Thurrock's parks can offer in the school holidays with an action-packed programme of fun Active Parks activities.
Thurrock Council has organised a number of free sports and crafts activity sessions this summer to boost residents' links to nature, the outdoors and the borough’s parks.
All morning and afternoon events will be subject to weather conditions and demand on the day. Art packs and pre-school kits will also be available at each session to help keep younger children entertained. No booking is necessary – residents can turn up on the day.
Activities will change each week and include the following:
- Week 1, from Monday 29 July to Thursday 1 August – archery, team games, cricket, football, volleyball, bat and ball
- Week 2, from Monday 5 August to Thursday 8 August – blindfold football, timed races, nature crafts and art
- Week 3, from Monday 12 August to Thursday 15 August – tag, rugby, basketball, rounders, water games
- Week 4 – longer sports day sessions, from 11am to 3pm, on Monday 19 August at Grays Town Park, Tuesday 20 August at West Thurrock Memorial Ground, Wednesday 21 August at Derry Avenue in South Ockendon, and Thursday 22 August at Horndon Recreation Ground
- Week 5 – a walk to Davy Down from the play area in Cruick Avenue, South Ockendon, on Wednesday 28 August at 11am
An Active Passport scheme will also be available in South Ockendon. Participants can get an Active Passport stamped when they take part in an Active Parks pre-organised activity. Those who attend 8 park activity sessions will qualify for a medal.
Cllr Aaron Watkins, Cabinet member for environment and sports and leisure, said: "We really want to see children and young people getting out and making the most of Thurrock's parks during the summer break. We are committed to this cause and £1.35million has been invested in parks between 2016/17 and 2021.
"Local friends of park groups also organise activities in parks, and our team will be supporting existing community groups’ events, including South Ockendon Hub, Friends of Dilkes Park and Thurrock Play Network, during the summer. Keep an eye out for other events near you."
For more information, including session dates and times, go to thurrock.gov.uk/activeparks