Parking zones and parking bays

New parking zones

If you've received a letter that says you are now within a parking zone, please do not apply for a permit until 2 weeks before the enforcement date as your property will not be included on the permit application system until then.

Resident parking permits

If you live in the controlled parking zones (CPZs) in Grays town centre or Stanford-le-Hope, or the permit parking area in South Ockendon, you may be eligible for a permit to park in these places.

You may also be eligible to apply for short-stay visitor parking permits to enable your visitors' or trades persons' vehicles to park in the zone or area.

Where you can park

This permit allows you to park your vehicle in a permit holder's only bay within the residents' parking zone or area stated on the permit.

You can also park within a shared use parking bay. This is a bay where parking permit holders and motorists displaying a valid pay-and-display ticket can park.

Permit charges

Resident parking permits are issued for 1 year and the charges are:

Permits Cost
​First resident parking permit in household Free
​Second resident parking permit in household Free
​Third resident parking permit in household £66

Grays Permit Parking Area Zone H

Grays Permit Parking Area Zone H will come into force on 1 July 2019. The Zone H area covers:

  • Alfred Street
  • Arthur Street
  • Church Street
  • Elm Road
  • Grove Road
  • John Street
  • Manor Road, from the Gipsy Lane / Maple Road junction to a point 7m east of number 47
  • Maple Road
  • Oak Road
  • Percy Street
  • Whitehall Lane, from the Broadway / East Thurrock Road junction to the south side of number 64
  • William Street
  • Wood Street, from the Church Street junction to a point 8m north of number 32

If you are a resident within the Zone H area, you can apply online for a parking permit from 17 June 2019.

Apply for a resident parking permit

You can apply online for a resident parking permit below.

Apply for a resident parking permit

The application form will ask you to upload images that show:

  • proof of residency – a recent (last 3 months) bank statement, utility bill, council tax bill or rent card
  • proof of vehicle ownership – for UK vehicles this would be a copy of your V5 registration document

If you use a company vehicle you should upload an image of a letter, on company headed paper, that shows the vehicle registration number and your name and address as an employee. This letter would be instead of the proof of vehicle ownership, but you must still provide a separate proof of residency.

You can upload images direct from your own computer or smartphone. If you are applying from a self-service computer at our Civic Offices in New Road, Grays, you can upload images from our self-service scanner.

We normally process applications within 2 weeks of receipt.

Change of address

If you are moving to a new property you will not be able to apply for a resident parking permit until your vehicle registration document has been updated to show your new address.

While waiting for this to happen, you can apply for visitor parking permits using your solicitors' letter or tenancy agreement as proof of address. You can use a visitor parking permit to park your own vehicle.