Paying your council tax

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – support for businesses and the self-employed

For information on assistance with business rates and government cash grants for businesses, go to our business rates pages. For those who are self-employed, we are providing financial assistance for the self-employed in the form of deferred council tax payments.

The government is providing a range of support for businesses. For details, go to GOV.UK: business support and GOV.UK: financial support for businesses during coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you would like local advice on business safety during the outbreak, you can send a request using our coronavirus (COVID-19) request for business safety advice form.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) financial assistance for the self-employed

The government has announced a scheme to help people who are self-employed and have lost income due to coronavirus. Go to GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Self-employment Income Support Scheme.

It is likely that financial assistance from the government will not be available until June 2020 at the earliest, with payments then back-dated.

Help for self-employed workers during this period

We are offering to help self-employed workers by allowing council tax payments towards their current year’s bill to be deferred until July 2020.

If you are registered as self-employed and would like to accept this offer of not paying council tax until July, please send us your details using the form below.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – assistance for the self-employed

In July 2020, we will send you an updated council tax bill asking for the deferred amounts to be paid together with your July instalment. From August 2020, your instalments will revert to your normal payment plan.