Thurrock's character and history is interwoven with that of the River Thames.
Behind Thurrock's 18 miles of Thames riverfront lies a borough that has a diverse green belt covering 60% of its area; a unique combination of atmospheric marshland, ancient woodlands, historic fens and the Mardyke river valley.
The Thames itself is home to a rich collection of resident wildlife and is of international natural significance as an over-wintering ground for 300,000 waterfowl.
Riverscapes is a plan for using Thurrock’s riverside location to promote, connect and enhance our natural environment for the benefit of local people, wildlife and the economy.
We have agreed the themes, principles and projects with partners, and are working together to improve the natural environment of our 2 rivers, the Thames and the Mardyke.
There are 3 themes:
- enhancing riverside access
- enhancing environmental access
- enhancing strategic sites
There are 6 principles that shape the document:
- promote, enhance and celebrate the special character of Thurrock
- develop a connected, multi-use greenspace network and accessible, vibrant river frontage
- integrate climate change adaptation and mitigation responses into Thurrock’s greenspace network
- maintain the natural integrity of Thurrock’s air, land and water, including its biodiversity
- use Thurrock’s environment to improve local health and well-being, volunteering, learning and green employment
- support partnership working between Thurrock’s environmental stakeholders
There are 15 projects that will be delivered in partnership with local government groups. They are as follows:
- Aveley Forest
- Chafford Gorges
- Coalhouse Fort
- Corringham and Fobbing
- Grays and Chadwell
- Grays and Tilbury
- Grays Riverside
- Lakeside Basin
- Langdon Hills
- Mardyke Valley
- Purfleet and Riverside
- Thameside Nature Park and Mucking Riverside
- Tilbury and Riverside
- West Thurrock and South Stifford Riverside
Thurrock Council will work together with a group of partner organisation to deliver Riverscapes. Our partners include: