School data protection and your privacy

Who we share data with

We may share information about you to check its accuracy, or for the purposes of child protection, or in other ways allowed by law.

We may pass data to:

  • third-party organisations, as allowed by law
  • agencies that provide services on our behalf
  • agencies with whom we have a duty to co-operate

A brief description of the purposes for which we share information is given below.

Health care

Primary Care Trusts (PCT) use information about pupils:

  • for research and statistical purposes
  • to monitor the performance of local health services
  • to evaluate and develop them

Individual pupils cannot be identified from PCT use of statistics.

Information on the height and weight of individual pupils may be shared with the child and its parents. PCTs must keep a record of pupils' names for this purpose for a period, decided by government, following weighing and measuring. PCTs may also share statistics on pupils' height and weight with schools and academies.


We may share data with other authorities, schools and academies so that applications for admission to schools and academies can be processed.

Early years education

We collect and share data with early years education providers to:

  • meet government requirements for funding
  • make sure there are enough early years places in Thurrock

Youth support services

For pupils aged 13 or over, schools must pass on certain information to the provider of youth support services in your area. This is the council support service for young people aged 13 to 19 in England.

They must provide:

  • the name and address of pupils and their parents
  • pupils' date of birth
  • any other information relevant to the support services’ role

Until pupils are aged 16 or older, their parent(s) can ask that no information other than a child's name, address and date of birth - and their own name and address - be passed to the youth support provider. Pupils get this right on their 16th birthday. Pupils or parents must tell the school what they want.

Our youth support service passes on some information to the Department for Education (DfE) so they can assess:

  • local authorities' performance
  • where young people go after they have left compulsory education

Go to DfE data protection: how we collect and share research data for more on how we or the DfE store and use this data.

We may share relevant data with other authorities, schools and academies to make sure young people access appropriate education, employment or training. Data may be shared with post-16 support providers to make sure support is appropriate.